Monday, February 28, 2011

Following the Trail

Last week I had a rather bizarre ambition - to find and photograph trail riders heading the Houston Rodeo.  Since moving here 6 years ago, I had heard of the trail riders and thought it would be fun for this California girl to see.  When I found one group was in our area, I headed out on my trek.  I lucked out early on and spotted them on the road going the opposite direction.  I anticipated their route and waited in a parking lot. Nothing.  I decided to head home only to see the motorcycle officers that led the group near our neighborhood.  Once again, I anticipated their trail and waited. Nothing. That's when I decided to just head home and maybe check the Internet to see if they had their route posted. Sure enough there it was! This time I drove to a park I "knew" they would go past. There I was with camera in hand, just me and a maintenance worker their to clean the bathrooms.  Not only did they go past me, the came in right behind me as they gathered in the parking lot for a rest stop.  Mission accomplished.

It reminded me of how these tendencies are seen in my walk with God.  I see a situation and anticipate where He is going, run ahead in anticipation and "camp out" waiting. Often disappointment comes when He doesn't show up on my schedule.  It is the realization and understanding that God is the leader of the "trail rider"; He knows where He is going and my responsibility is to seek, follow and read the instruction He has left for me in His Word.  While finding trail riders is fun, I know that seeking after what God desires is going to be so much more fulfillling!

".....for the Lord searches every heart and understands every motive behind the thoughts.  If you seek him, he will be found by you."  1 Chronicles 28:96

No comments: